When milk fermentation is not carried out by specific yoghurt microorganisms (Streptococcus Thermophilus e Lactobacillus Bulgaricus), but by the other microorganisms associated with the first ones, the product is commonly called "fermented milk".
In yogurt production line, packaging is usually made in plastic bottles.
The most popular types of fermented milk are:
- "Probiotics" produced from milk grafted with probiotic microorganisms which must be active and vital in the intestine.
- "Kefir" drink rich in lactic acid and probiotic bacteria. Kefir can have a small content of CO2 and alcohol both from the yeasts fermentation.
- "Ayran" drink made of yoghurt, water and salt.
- "Leben" yoghurt-by drink.
- "Rjagenk" a fermented milk treated at high temperature, with the typical dark color.